Share Your Writing, Give Critiques, Receive Feedback from your Peers
Writing is not an individual endeavor. Sharing our writing and commenting on others’ is helpful and encouraging to everyone involved.
This is critique group is for all writers, but it was originally started specially for teen writers, so please be aware that many of the commentators will be young adults. And if you are a teen, I know how hard it is to find critiques from other teens, so here is your chance. The submission form is at the bottom of this page, but I would appreciate it if you read the rules first.
My Open Pen was inspired by my fellow blogger’s, Bryce’s, own version on his blog. Please check his blog out, and you can get a second critique there, if you would like: The Art of Uncouth: Open Pen
The rules are very simple:
- Your excerpt may be no longer than 1,500 words or forty lines of a poem.
- You must post a constructive comment on the work of someone else who has submitted. Your comment can be short and be about only one thing if you don’t have much time, but please make it constructive (aka you must offer a suggestion and not just a compliment.) Also you are more than welcome to comment on the whole work or multiple submissions.
- Your excerpt must not include anything sexual (even innuendo), excess violence, or swearing. If your excerpt does contain swearing please star it out completely. Also please note that I am relatively lenient on the violence rule.
- Please only submit one piece a month. I would encourage you to come back and keep asking for help (even on the same piece if you want), but I can’t have one person spamming the list. Thank you for considering others.
- This is not a solid rule but a suggestion. If you have a blog, it might be helpful if you re-blogged your critique once I post it. This way your followers know to come over and critique your work, too. Also if you find Open Pen helpful, I would love it if you spread the word around your website.
I will be posting an excerpt on my website each Friday with my critique either sent to you via e-mail. On my blog, others will be able critique your work, too. If your critique is posted on the website, I will link to it in the comments below and notify you. However, I understand that some of you might not want your writing posted. If that is the case, just let me know in the “Anything Else?” Portion of the submission form, and I will send your critique back to your e-mail address (however, I will be the only person critiquing your work.)
Please fill out this comment form if you would like to have your work critiqued. The required fields are marked. Thank you!
List of Posted Open Pen Submissions (Ordered Oldest to Newest):
- The Hospital
- A Good Bet
- Welcome Home
- Untitled: A lyric fiction
- Untitled Fantasy Excerpt
- My Pen on Paper
- Snowfall (a poem)
- The Strange Case of Siri and Iris
- That One Moment
- 3 a.m. Thoughts
- Dragon Rising Coffee
- Untitled Middle Grade Fiction
- Sunshine and Fog
- Don’t Believe Us (Dramatic Non-fiction)
- Untitled Fantasy Excerpt: Taria Cairo
- Thirty Forty Five
- The Wings of Fury
- The River Flows
- The Lark
- Science as Art
- Myra Jaynes
Did you find Open Pen useful? Here is the code for a button if you would like to spread the word.